Thursday, November 29, 2012

Holiday Curriculum

Normally, I avoid the controversial topic of Christmas in the classroom this time of year.  School just isn't what it was when we were kids and I know that we must be sensitive to all faiths this time of year.  But as a kid, I always LOVED the holidays and learning about Santa and singing all the Christmas standards.  But none-the-less, I haven't felt comfortable doing anything red and green (if you know what I mean).

Well, this year I am excited to share that I have taken a risk and written a Christmas literature unit and am teaching the folklore behind many of the familiar Christmas traditions like Santa, reindeer, etc ~ and my 5th grade kids are loving it!  They have been eating up the folklore and have so many questions about the history.

I would encourage you to pull out some of your favorite lessons and share them with your class.  It's fun and your kids will thank you for what you do.  But what ever you do, have FUN with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment