Saturday, November 3, 2012

Common Core

I was having a discussion with my principal recently about Common Core.  The topic centered around making the transition between State Content Standards to the new Common Core.  It got me to thinking about how different schools/districts are planning on handling this transition.  Are you planning to take a year or more to transition or are you expected to just jump straight into the fire. 

While my school doesn't plan to "transition" until we are required, I have been playing in the Common Core pool for a couple of years now and finding that I really like the Common Core.  I am looking forward to the complete change and hope that the madness isn't too insane.  I am in California, and our state has elected to add 15% to the standards.  From what I can tell thus far, it makes a minimal impact 5th grade.  Our biggest change for ELA appears to be the addition of Informational Texts to the reading standards. 

I am looking forward to some collaborative time with other teachers to really dig deeper into the Common Core.  In the meantime, I plan to keep having fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment